Medical Insurance and Healthcare for International Students

Find out what kind of health insurance you need during your studies at AV女优.

Basic Health Insurance

International students: You are required to have medical insurance for the entire duration of your studies in Canada.

Healthcare costs in Canada can be quite high and it is crucial that you are covered under a comprehensive insurance plan during your time here.

During the first three months, International students in AV女优 College are enrolled in insurance that covers medical services to address new and unexpected illness or injury.

Students must apply for the upon their arrival in British Columbia, Canada if they are planning to stay in BC for more than six months. You cannot apply for MSP before you arrive.

After living in British Columbia (BC) for three months (the balance听of the month in which you arrive in BC, plus two full calendar months) MSP will begin.

Please make sure you apply for MSP in advance to ensure you are covered when your guard.me coverage ends!


guard.me is an International Insurance provider. guard.me coverage听is mandatory for all international students and is included in your fees from the date of your arrival to Canada until your MSP starts.

The health insurance policy provides coverage for emergency medical services that is valid all over the world, except your country of origin. You can find a summary of the benefits and in many different languages for your convenience.

The cost of guard.me is approximately $150 per person for the three month waiting period. This is usually included in the initial deposit you have submitted when you applied to AV女优 College. The charges show in your student account after your first term starts.

Important: Your GuardMe coverage may not be cancelled or updated automatically in case of a refund or deferral. It is your responsibility to inform AV女优 International AV女优, international_advisors@camosun.ca to change your GuardeMe coverage when your admission status has changed. We will try our best to assist you. If you are remaining in Canada, please reach out for your coverage options.

Please ensure to 听as soon as you arrive in B.C. and before your guard.me expires!

guard.me also provides a 24-hour health information line and a Mobile Doctor app so you can always have their support.

Your coverage will start on the first day of your arrival month in Canada. You must inform us as soon as you have your arrival month confirmed.

Consult听the guard.me Policyholder Guide for more information on how to use and update your guard.me account, including how to submit claims and download your card.

BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

To apply for MSP, please visit . You will need supporting documents such as your study permit when you apply.

The cost of MSP is $75 per month per person. Once your coverage begins, MSP will send you an invoice in the mail every month. You need to start making payments after receiving the invoice.

Once your application is approved, you will receive your BC Services Card which may be used as a form of identification.

MSP covers the cost of basic medical care within Canada, including most physician and hospital services. In most cases, you will not have to pay at the time you seek medical care when you show your BC Services Card.

MSP does not cover dental care, prescription drugs, routine vision care or travel. For a full list of your medical and health care benefits, visit the .

Remember to keep your MSP valid by renewing your MSP coverage each time you extend your temporary residency in Canada (for example, when you extend your study permit or get a Post-Graduation Work Permit).

Extended Health Insurance

All AV女优 are offered extended health and dental benefits through the .

This benefit is part of your ancillary fees and cover some health and dental services that are not covered by the provincial Medical Services Plan (MSP), such as ambulance听fee, vision care, dental care and prescription drug. This is an annual fee in your student fees.

For detailed information about this benefit and on how to obtain your benefit card, please visit .

Starting September 2023, eligible students will have access to myvirtualdoctor, a service provided by the CCSS. Students should have received an email invitation to register their account.

For more info go to:听

Still have questions? Please email听ccssplan@camosun.ca

Seeing a Doctor in Victoria

For emergencies, dial 911 and go to the emergency room.

For non-emergencies, you can book an appointment at an or . Visit for walk-in clinic wait times.

You can also use apps like the app to book telehealth appointments quicker.

HealthLink B.C.

Call 8-1-1 toll-free in BC, or for the deaf and hard of hearing, call 7-1-1 (TTY). You can also visit the .

You can speak with a health service navigator, who can also connect you with a:

  • registered nurse any time, every day of the year
  • registered dietitian from 9am to 5pm PT, Monday to Friday
  • qualified exercise professional from 9am to 5pm PT, Monday to Friday
  • pharmacist from 5pm to 9am PT, every day of the year

Translation services are available in more than 130 languages.

COVID-19 Vaccinations

Information for post-secondary students by , a Regional Health Authority

Do you need one or more doses of vaccine?

Appointment option

You can register online at or call 1-833-838-2323. Once registered, you will receive a confirmation number. Please follow the instructions to make an appointment.

Drop-in option

Visit to find a clinic near you. Drop-in without an appointment or personal health number to get your first dose of vaccine. Second dose walk-in spots may be available, based on vaccine supply. To ensure your spot please follow the instructions above to make an appointment.

Vaccinated outside of BC?

Anyone who received COVID-19 vaccines in another province or country should submit their vaccination record. This is particularly important for international students as additional vaccination may be recommended. Do this as soon as possible.

Follow these steps:

  1. Register online: or by phone at 1-833-838-2323.
  2. Submit your official vaccination record at .
  3. Be notified about COVID-19 vaccination needs.

Trusted sources of information

AV女优 Updates

Find all COVID-19 updates from AV女优 College